Monday, January 3, 2011

Equilibrium Software

Photo by Felipe Gabaldon
Calculating individual forces within systems in equilibrium can be a daunting task! As we've seen in class, the process involves drawing a free-body diagram, resolving forces into components, and writing equations for each dimension. Almost always, this process leads to solving a system of equations. Depending on the particular problem, this system of equations can be quite difficult.

Computers are well-suited to doing tedious calculations. They certainly have the ability to solve the system of equations mentioned above. Do a little searching online.

  1. What are some software programs/packages that engineers use to solve problems of static equilibrium?
  2. Are there any freeware programs that can solve statics problems?
  3. Can you find any applets online that allow a user to manipulate beams, cables, masses, etc., and will then display the resulting force in a particular piece of the structure?
Share your links in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. http://www.freedownloadsarchive.com/s-download/solved-statics-problems-for-free.html

    I don't know if you were looking for something like this for problem number 2. I think this can solve static problems, but yet again I cannot download it due to my weak internet connection. I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nibz, I followed your link and it brings me to a page that has a list of software to download. One program claims it can solve all my problems and "help me lead a happy life" :P

    I think this is an automatically generated list based on your search terms, and most of its suggestions have nothing to do with statics. Can you find a specific software title?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.biomesh.org/fea-basics

    To answer question one, Finite Element Analysis is one of the most widely recgnized engineering analysis programs in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.ajdesigner.com/

    To answer question 2,
    AJ Design Software provides programs, freeware applications, tools, solutions and online calculators for engineering, design, science and education problems, including statics problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are quite a few different applets at "http://www.edinformatics.com/il/il_physics.htm" that appear to be about physics, including three-force balancing (equilibrium), newton's second law, vector addition, and even one about air-tracks ;) (Shout out to Mr. Bearss favorite physics experiment.) Also, in answer to question 1 (sort of), Product #PHY05, Modules 4 and 5, at "http://software.ceressoft.org/" is a physics suite for High School students that goes over static equilibrium, among other subjects. I was unable to find any online software that was for engineers, only items that seemed more like guides to physics for HS and College students. I don't know if these really count; would an engineer really use the same software as a student? "http://www.freebyte.com/cad/fea.htm" appears to be pushing a problem-solving type program that solves linear static, vibration, dynamic response steady/transient heat transfer, buckling, incompressible fluid flow, seepage, electromagnetic, electrostatic, D.C current and acoustic analysis problems. Also, it is very difficult to figure out how to post a comment. It took me ten minutes to get this to accept my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. roseDesire,

    Nice post. I definitely will check out those links when I have a chance. I'm sorry you had trouble leaving your comment. Which part of the process was difficult? Maybe there's a way I can simplify things--I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete