Thursday, January 16, 2014

Science Fair 2014: Science vs Engineering

Image used with CC licence


In thinking about the upcoming science fair, an important decision is which type of project to choose--either a science project or an engineering project. While they share many common aspects, they are fundamentally different. Do you want to design and build something to accomplish a particular task? Are you curious how something works, or how one quantity might affect another? These are questions to ask yourself while deciding what type of project to do.

Here a few resources to use when deciding:

  1. The judging criteria for the Flint Regional Science Fair and the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. (The St. Clair County Science and Engineering Fair uses a similar form.)
  2. A scoring rubric that does a nice job comparing and contrasting science and engineering projects.


Weigh in--what type do you think you'll do and why?

4 comments:

  1. S.F. 6th hour
    I believe that I will choose to make an engineering project; they seem much more relevant since this is a physics class. I think being able to apply what we're learning right now to a project is pretty cool! Additionally, this was the first year i was aware that there was engineering options in science fairs so I am fairly curious and what to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.T. 6th hour
    I am thinking about doing a science project. To me I need something more interesting and with science you can discover new possibilities. The engineering I feel would be a lot of fun. It would be awesome to make something a different way and try to improve it. I just don't have an idea for that type of project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G.W. 6th Hour
    I Believe that i will choose the science portion of the Science Fair. Although Engineering seems a bit more advanced and more fun. I think i'd prefer the basic back bone project to save my time and money. Not only that but to give my hypothesis about the project and test it and see if i am correct or incorrect and fix my errors. I'd honestly think that the science project will benefit me more

    ReplyDelete